Atlas Shrugged: Part III
w***@gmail.com
2015-02-05 20:07:03 UTC
Hey,

Once again, the die-hard Randians continue their pursuit of bringing Ayn Rand's novel to the screen and once again, I have no real grasp about what they're going on about. For one thing, Dagny Taggart is told that the Taggart Bridge has collapsed due to government regulations and the bridge is part of the Taggart railroad that occupies what would be the center of the story if there in fact was one. How the evil government accomplished this collapse is never explained as much is never explained about much of anything in this passive-aggressive wet dream for the one percenters.

And that's my real complaint about this trilogy: It is utterly incoherent as to who these people are and what they really want. It would be nice for the philosophy to be articulated in some way other than in buzz words, mottos, and accusations. Did Ayn Rand really include a shoot-out -- of sorts -- at the end? Considering that these are the very people -- or people with similar ideas -- that caused the current financial crisis, I think they have some 'splaining to do. It isn't in this mess that has bodies spewing lines instead of characters working on moving the damn thing along. Yes, a mess it tis and too damn bad. There's a movie in there somewhere.
tomcervo
2015-02-05 23:55:52 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
Yeah, right beside the pony.
The movie you may want is one trying to convince you, laying out the arguments for their point of view. This movie isn't--it's trying to reassure the true believers, since objective reality isn't much help these days for Randism.
It has the same relationship to art as this stuff:
http://www.jonmcnaughton.com/patriotic/
w***@gmail.com
2015-02-06 01:05:00 UTC
Or may not. Half the time, I don't even get your bizarre references. It's like Oberman on acid without Kael or the deaf man.
bermuda999
Coincidentally, the "There must be a pony in here somewhere" gag was one of Ronald Reagan's favorites.
tomcervo
2015-02-06 05:32:39 UTC
This is epic.
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/222482/big-sister-watching-you/flashback
moviePig
2015-02-06 14:34:07 UTC
Post by tomcervo
This is epic.
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/222482/big-sister-watching-you/flashback
Epic ...and an upside to having endured that damned slog.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Nick
2015-02-06 14:40:39 UTC
Just think of all those other books you could have been reading while you were plodding through 1000+ pages of Atlas Shrugged.
moviePig
2015-02-06 15:03:22 UTC
Post by Nick
Post by moviePig
Post by tomcervo
This is epic.
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/222482/big-sister-watching-you/flashback
Epic ...and an upside to having endured that damned slog.
Just think of all those other books you could have been reading while you were plodding through 1000+ pages of Atlas Shrugged.
Having, for many years, heard references to AS, and always feeling a bit
ignorant about such a meme-inducing pop phenomenon, I considered the
time spent an investment -- yielding a talisman against future such
feelings of ignorance (even if not against ignorance itself). And, of
course, I had my speed(read)ometer set to 'Plow'...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
bermuda999
Even at that setting, just Galt's "I am Chevy Chase" end speech, at 33,000+ words, is quite a large pile of manure to move.
moviePig
2015-02-06 15:35:11 UTC
Post by bermuda999
Post by moviePig
Post by Nick
Post by moviePig
Post by tomcervo
This is epic.
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/222482/big-sister-watching-you/flashback
Epic ...and an upside to having endured that damned slog.
Just think of all those other books you could have been reading while you were plodding through 1000+ pages of Atlas Shrugged.
Having, for many years, heard references to AS, and always feeling a bit
ignorant about such a meme-inducing pop phenomenon, I considered the
time spent an investment -- yielding a talisman against future such
feelings of ignorance (even if not against ignorance itself). And, of
course, I had my speed(read)ometer set to 'Plow'...
Even at that setting, just Galt's "I am Chevy Chase" end speech, at 33,000+ words, is quite a large pile of manure to move.
Read it backwards and sped-up, and you can hear, "Mammon... Mammon..."
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
blutarsky
2015-02-06 15:40:57 UTC
Finally! It's good to see government officials finally honing in
with a laser focus on the heart of the problem.
http://kdhnews.com/news/world/action-movies-halted-in-paris-after-po
st-te
rror-new-rules/article_39cf64c0-03e1-5669-99ba-4912d2f32605.html
"There's a problem with these action-type scenes, as the actors
in uniform could be targets for terrorists. Also, the actors
could pose confusion for the general public-- during this
highly sensitive period," Sylvie Barnaud, the police official
who grants outside filming permission in Paris, told The
Associated Press.
Seriously? So the hundreds of people and tons of camera and
technical equipment closely surrounding the actors wouldn't be a
bit of a clue that they aren't real cops or soldiers?
With use of newly compact equipment and practical lighting, it's not
hard to imagine action scenes being filmed in an unawares crowd.
Kinda like in Godard's First Name: Carmen where he's tricked into
filming a bang robbery heist movie while terrorists really rob the
bank.
they pull a stunt like that in HOLLYWOOD BLVD (1976). candice rialson,
desperate to be in the movies, thinks she's the getaway driver in a bank
robbery scene. lots of "the camera? don't worry about that now." type
dialogue.

blutarsky
--
I swear: if I live to complete this autobiography, I will go through it
again and cross out all the 'Hi ho's.'
Hi ho.
tomcervo
2015-02-06 23:27:54 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by tomcervo
This is epic.
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/222482/big-sister-watching-you/flashback
Epic ...and an upside to having endured that damned slog.
Could have been worse:

at least you still read.
Nick
2015-02-06 23:52:43 UTC
Post by tomcervo
Post by moviePig
Post by tomcervo
This is epic.
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/222482/big-sister-watching-you/flashback
Epic ...and an upside to having endured that damned slog.
http://youtu.be/_j56IiLqZ9U
at least you still read.
Whenever I think of the possibility of reading Atlas Shrugged, I'm reminded of something Ernest Hemingway said about how you don't have to drink a whole pitcher of warm spit to know it tastes bad.
bermuda999
2015-02-06 15:07:03 UTC
I remember the first time I read this. It is epic even if one does not know the source and date of the review or the background of the reviewer.
Bill Anderson
2015-02-06 01:51:10 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
I think Calvin's email address still works. You could contact him and
ask for an explanation of it all.
--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
w***@gmail.com
2015-02-06 02:06:29 UTC
You kind of missed my point. I had an expectation that the film would articulate the book since the makers were always going on about how loyal the film would be.
Bill Anderson
2015-02-06 02:15:57 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Post by Bill Anderson
I think Calvin's email address still works. You could contact him and
ask for an explanation of it all.
You kind of missed my point. I had an expectation that the film would articulate the book since the makers were always going on about how loyal the film would be.
You kind of missed my point. I thought the idea of you asking Calvin for
an explanation was funny. Guess not so much.
--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
w***@gmail.com
2015-02-06 02:19:20 UTC
You probably remember this expression: It was so funny I forgot to laugh. Anyway, if I emailed calvin, he's probably call the police. There's one guy I don't miss.
Nick
2015-02-06 02:55:32 UTC
There might be a documentary in there somewhere, about how this property, the best novel ever written according to its adherents, got so downscaled on its way to being adapted. A star vehicle for Faye Dunaway in the seventies, all the way down to direct to DVD crap in 2014. Setting aside questions of quality, has there ever been a novel this prominent so ill-treated by its adaptors? The producer of the AS movie franchise was running a cynical con on the true believers. They bought into it and all they got out of it was three lousy movies they have to pretend to like.
w***@gmail.com
2015-02-06 03:05:23 UTC
And losing millions along the way. That's what gets me. Hollywood would subvert a novel and then cash in. Here, there is a slavish devotion to sinking in red ink.
moviePig
2015-02-06 14:43:28 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Post by Nick
There might be a documentary in there somewhere, about how this property, the best novel ever written according to its adherents, got so downscaled on its way to being adapted. A star vehicle for Faye Dunaway in the seventies, all the way down to direct to DVD crap in 2014. Setting aside questions of quality, has there ever been a novel this prominent so ill-treated by its adaptors? The producer of the AS movie franchise was running a cynical con on the true believers. They bought into it and all they got out of it was three lousy movies they have to pretend to like.
And losing millions along the way. That's what gets me. Hollywood would subvert a novel and then cash in. Here, there is a slavish devotion to sinking in red ink.
...which is why (though not having seen #3) I can only view a 'conning
of true believers' as including the producers themselves. There seems
to have been no practical -- much less nefarious -- purpose to this
labor of "love". It's not as though these flicks even stand a chance of
revival years hence, helping Society awaken from its Liberal coma...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Bill Anderson
2015-02-06 17:39:23 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by w***@gmail.com
Post by Nick
[...]
I saw 1 free and avoided both 2 and 3 so....I WIN!!
--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
moviePig
2015-02-06 20:05:45 UTC
Post by Bill Anderson
Post by moviePig
Post by w***@gmail.com
Post by Nick
[...]
And, because I'll eventually see #3, I lose. But, of us two, only I
will be sure about it...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Bill Anderson
2015-02-06 20:16:32 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by Bill Anderson
Post by moviePig
Post by w***@gmail.com
Post by Nick
[...]
Life's too short.
--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
moviePig
2015-02-06 20:26:03 UTC
Post by Bill Anderson
Post by moviePig
Post by Bill Anderson
Post by moviePig
Post by w***@gmail.com
Post by Nick
[...]
Well, I'm sure if you watch #2 and #3, it'll seem longer...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
hislop
Battlefield Earth
tomcervo
2015-02-09 00:02:07 UTC
On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 11:18:21 PM UTC-5, hislop wrote:
--Setting aside questions of quality, has there ever been a novel this prominent so ill-treated by its adaptors? The producer of the AS movie franchise was running a cynical con on the true believers. They bought into it and all they got out of it was three lousy movies they have to pretend to like.--

I think the money people were quite happy with it; they got what they wanted. They think its truths are so self-evident that a 500 hour video of a Young Republican reading it aloud would send the masses running to objectivism.
I don't think the creative talent was giving less than their best--even a crummy role is a potential audition, and you don't want any viewer to think it's your fault.
I sat through the first two while I had other stuff to do at hand, and they weren't any worse than your average ep of NCIS *.*
As for badly served novels--after what Hollywood did to Faulkner after "Intruder in the Dust" I'm surprised it was Hemingway who killed himself.
hislop
2015-02-09 13:23:33 UTC
Post by hislop
Post by Nick
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
If you can imagine a John Ford science fiction movie featuring Scots and
not 'it's like Planet of the Apes' you might get my point.
e***@aol.com
2015-02-09 10:56:58 UTC
As a side note only, "Ayn Rand hated the 1949 movie version of The Fountainhead, even though the screenplay was written by her and barely altered. She refused to let any of her other novels be filmed unless they let her pick the director and edit the film herself."
Nick
2015-02-09 13:33:57 UTC
But a true Rand-ian film director would never agree to that condition to begin with.
moviePig
2015-02-09 14:59:13 UTC
Post by e***@aol.com
Post by Nick
There might be a documentary in there somewhere, about how this property, the best novel ever written according to its adherents, got so downscaled on its way to being adapted. A star vehicle for Faye Dunaway in the seventies, all the way down to direct to DVD crap in 2014. Setting aside questions of quality, has there ever been a novel this prominent so ill-treated by its adaptors? The producer of the AS movie franchise was running a cynical con on the true believers. They bought into it and all they got out of it was three lousy movies they have to pretend to like.
As a side note only, "Ayn Rand hated the 1949 movie version of The Fountainhead, even though the screenplay was written by her and barely altered. She refused to let any of her other novels be filmed unless they let her pick the director and edit the film herself."
Audiences would be lining up to stay home...
--
YOUR taste at work...