HORNS (no spoilers)
moviePig
2015-01-07 14:18:59 UTC
The first of HORNS's two hours promises an audacious, semi-comic, horror
whodunnit with the potential to ascend to parable. Sadly, its second
hour plunges ass-first into a puddle of corn syrup and cliche. Directed
by Alexandre Aja (writer-director of the wonderful HIGH TENSION), HORNS
is from a book by Stephen King's boy Joe Hill. Another of Hill's novels
had disappointed me with weak plotting -- but when lead Daniel Radcliffe
showed commitment here with a note-perfect American accent, I had
hopes... Only minimally recommended.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Nick
3 reasons I've passed on Horns so far . . .1) the two hour length, 2) reviewers saying that Alexandre Aja's direction is way too arty for its own good and 3) I haven't read Horns but what I have read by Joe Hill hasn't impressed me much. I'll hold off on this one till it hits Netflix streaming.
moviePig
2015-01-08 01:31:45 UTC
Post by Nick
Post by moviePig
The first of HORNS's two hours promises an audacious, semi-comic, horror
whodunnit with the potential to ascend to parable. Sadly, its second
hour plunges ass-first into a puddle of corn syrup and cliche. Directed
by Alexandre Aja (writer-director of the wonderful HIGH TENSION), HORNS
is from a book by Stephen King's boy Joe Hill. Another of Hill's novels
had disappointed me with weak plotting -- but when lead Daniel Radcliffe
showed commitment here with a note-perfect American accent, I had
hopes... Only minimally recommended.
3 reasons I've passed on Horns so far . . .1) the two hour length, 2) reviewers saying that Alexandre Aja's direction is way too arty for its own good and 3) I haven't read Horns but what I have read by Joe Hill hasn't impressed me much. I'll hold off on this one till it hits Netflix streaming.
(A dilemma without horns.) Though without defending much about this
movie, I have no idea what those reviewers could be calling 'arty'. I'd
have said 'workmanlike'...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Obveeus
2015-02-08 14:07:28 UTC
Post by Nick
Post by moviePig
The first of HORNS's two hours promises an audacious, semi-comic, horror
whodunnit with the potential to ascend to parable. Sadly, its second
hour plunges ass-first into a puddle of corn syrup and cliche. Directed
by Alexandre Aja (writer-director of the wonderful HIGH TENSION), HORNS
is from a book by Stephen King's boy Joe Hill. Another of Hill's novels
had disappointed me with weak plotting -- but when lead Daniel Radcliffe
showed commitment here with a note-perfect American accent, I had
hopes... Only minimally recommended.
3 reasons I've passed on Horns so far . . .1) the two hour length, 2)
Not a problem as the film passes by quickly.
Post by Nick
reviewers saying that Alexandre Aja's direction is way too arty for its own good
I wouldn't use the term 'arty' so much as 'whimsical'. Still, this film
felt to me more like something that could evolve into a cult classic do
to the truthiness of the characters.
Post by Nick
and 3) I haven't read Horns but what I have read by Joe Hill hasn't impressed me much. I'll hold off on this one till it hits Netflix streaming.
I watched it streaming last night and enjoyed it much more than moviePig
did.